Monday, January 13 • 6–8 PM • Reynolds Club, McCormick Tribune Lounge • Facebook event >
Come talk with students about their experiences in UChicago College programs abroad. Study Abroad Office staff will also be available to answer questions. The fair is organized by the Study Abroad Student Advisory Committee with help from many program alumni volunteers.
Not sure what to ask? Here are a few suggestions:
Choosing to study abroad and identifying the right program
- Why did you decide to apply to this program?
- What was your experience with the application process?
- How does this program compare to a typical quarter (or year) on campus (academic rigor, peer group, outside activities, etc.)?
- How did you balance being abroad with internship recruiting, MCAT, RSO, athletics, etc.?
Preparing to go abroad
- Did you feel prepared to go abroad beforehand? Why or why not?
- How did you budget for going abroad?
- What types of things did you do to prepare? (See a doctor, get a visa, etc.)
- What travel tips do you have?
Living in the program location
- What was one thing you had to give up while you were abroad (phone, Internet, certain food, etc.)? How did it work out in the end?
- What is the housing like in ____________?
- What was your favorite place to eat in ____________?
- How much money did you spend per week?
- What was the most rewarding / challenging thing about studying abroad in ____________?
- Did you speak the local language before you went to ____________? If not, was it difficult to navigate?
- How did you make friends with people in the host country?
- What did you do in your free time?
- Did you feel safe while you were in ____________?
- What resources did you have when you needed help?
Direct Enrollment Programs
- Were there other international students at your institution?
- How long did you participate in the program? How did it feel being away from Chicago?
- How did you develop your social community?
- How long did it take before you felt comfortable in the new academic setting?
- How did you handle the independence of this experience?
- Tell me about the pedagogical experience as compared to courses on campus.
Poster design by Hannah Kupferschmid, ’20 | Photos (clockwise from top left) by Clare Ulmer, ’20 (Rabat); Anabella Pinton, ’20 (Paris); Sahil Chatterji, ’18 (Barcelona); and Catherine McNally, ’19 (Luzern)