The Nassef Sawiris Research Grant is a $5,000 award intended to underwrite the costs of conducting six to eight weeks of undergraduate summer research in Egypt.
- SITG General Info Session
Tuesday, November 16, 2021, 6:00–7:00 PM CST
Watch a video recording of this session.
- SITG General Info Session
Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 5:00–6:00 PM CST
- To apply for a Summer International Travel Grant please complete the online application.
- Note that you can only be awarded one Summer International Travel Grant in a given year.
- One recommendation is required as a part of the online application. For a FLAG application this recommendation would ideally come from your language instructor or a faculty member with regional expertise. For research grants, the recommendation should be from a faculty member familiar with your research plans and with expertise in the proposed region or topic of research. You will be prompted to enter your recommender's name and email address in the online application.
- Please note that the research grant application will ask you to submit a résumé, which you will want to have ready ahead of time.
To find out more about Summer International Travel Grants, attend one of the following SITG Info Sessions (both sessions will include the same content):
To read about research projects that have been funded in the past you can search the SITG Evaluations Database by grant title. Log in to access the evaluations database.
Note for those applying to a country or region of elevated risk:
You will need to schedule a travel advisory meeting to discuss the petition process for special approval to be eligible for funding. For additional details and for information on countries and regions of elevated risk, please consult the University’s Travel Advisory Policy. You are also required to submit an additional paragraph in your statement of purpose detailing why study abroad in this country is important to your research or language study.
Special note: Students from the Class of 2022 may apply for Summer International Travel Grants for this coming summer. We recognize that due to the pandemic, students in this class may not have been able to take advantage of this funding opportunity earlier in their academic careers, so we can expand the eligibility requirements on an exceptional basis for this year.
Eligible students are undergraduate students registered at the University of Chicago for the spring quarter before the summer they go abroad and will be registered the following autumn quarter. Students taking a leave of absence before or after the grant period should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss whether their case merits an exception to the spring- or autumn-quarter registration requirement.
Research grants are primarily for third-year students in the College, but exceptional second-year students and fourth-year students who plan to spend part or all of a fifth year in the College are also eligible to apply.
All applications must be submitted online by February 04, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
All students will receive notification of the status of their application(s) via email by the beginning of Spring Quarter.
To discuss the Summer International Travel Grant Program and the application process, please contact email@example.com.
Photo: “Solitude” by Will Haffner, ’12